Braces and Invisalign both improve your smile and are effective for teens and adults.
Both treatments shift your teeth into proper position and ensure they function correctly. But each treatment has its benefits and challenges. At Hiller Orthodontics, we’ll help you find the solution that’s right for you and your smile goals.
How Are They Similar?
Braces and Invisalign treatments are similar in many ways, even though they look and feel different. Both must be worn all day, but Invisalign trays are removed when eating. Both require a commitment to following instructions for wear, cleaning, and oral health.
Invisalign and braces are effective treatments for correcting crooked teeth, overbites, underbites, and jaw position. The average braces or Invisalign treatment time is similar at about 16 months.
How Are They Different?
The main difference between braces and Invisalign is the technique used to shift teeth and create a beautiful smile.
Braces use metal brackets and high tech wires inside the mouth during treatment to change the teeth’s positioning. Elastics are often used in this process to bring teeth into alignment.
Invisalign uses a series of clear custom aligning trays to move teeth, and aligners are changed weekly. The convenience of Invisalign is certainly a plus, but braces may be the better option for treating some orthodontic issues.
Braces – Benefits
- Effective treatment for significant orthodontic cases
- Work to close gaps and align teeth quickly
- High-tech wires are less noticeable than the braces of the past
- Colorful elastics add some fun
- Flossing and brushing may require more effort
- Certain food and drink must be avoided
- Mouth guards are recommended to protect the mouth during athletics
Invisalign – Benefits
- Clear aligners are almost unnoticeable
- Aligners are removable, e.g. eating, sports
- Increased comfortability and convenience
- Often similar in price to braces
- Trays may stain if not removed before eating
- Increased risk of cavities when drinking sugary drinks and wearing aligners
- Aligners must be changed weekly
Have Any Questions?
Hiller Orthodontics is committed to providing high-quality orthodontic care through metal braces, clear braces, and Invisalign. We also offer free exams and free retainers for life. If you have any questions about treatment options, or if you would like to schedule an initial evaluation, contact our office today.